White as far as the eye could see was the scene greeting Ohanans this morning, as the summer snow continued to fall over the islands in what could easily be described as one of the biggest freak events of the century. In the towns and cities, it wasn't entirely uncommon to see trainers and their mons playing in the powder, snowmen and snowmons dotted the landscape and snowball wars were starting to escalate wildly.
Looking beyond the first glances of merriment, a different problem was beginning to emerge, however, as emergency services were being stretched to capacity with triple their usual callout; the cold temperatures now starting to catch residents severely off guard and unprepared.
The Rangers in particular had been struggling so much to keep up with rescue requests, pokemon disputes, distribution of warm supplies, and the native mons requiring help to survive these new conditions that Caleb had to call the other base leaders into a meeting."The short of it is that we're grossly understaffed to handle this level of crisis, and if we are going to be able to dispatch aid to these locations, we need help. More than half of the calls we get are in relation to this weather. We can't handle all of the requests and figure out what is the cause of this abnormal weather all at the same time. We have to ask the BFCC to lend us a hand."
And thus, an eager Franz had his next Round.
"Helping others is a good thing, non?"
Story Task & Artistic ChallengeYour challenge in Round Five to assist the Rangers during the snowstorm!
As the story and art are intertwined in this round, we have combined these sections. Please take the time to read through everything carefully, so as not to get confused about what you plan to draw.
You have the choice of one of SIX sets of locations, tasks and colours with which to complete your entry. Each location around Ohana has its own problem that your trainer will need to assist the Rangers with, and its own distinct colour palette that you must use. Yes, this is a throwback to Round One's mono-colour challenge, but this time you're using a preset range. The colours vary from light or muted to strong and bold palettes, and all feature a horrendous colour that you must figure out how to use effectively in your entries.
Format in this round is FOUR Splash Sets.
A Splash Set is defined as three individual splash pictures in one deviation, and while a set is not a comic, Splash pictures do allow the use of dialogue.
Your sets also need to reflect the following themes:Set One:
Organisation - You've arrived on base and are preparing to aid the Rangers - Show us your prep.Set Two:
Cooperation - Get out there and do your part to help!Set Three:
Crisis - Something somewhere is going wrong for someone! Is it you?! Or are you saving someone/somemon else?Set Four:
Conclusion - What fate has befallen your Trainer? Have you successfully completed your task? Or have you failed and need rescue?
Please Note: While you do not have to cameo the Base Leaders or existing Ohanan Rangers in your entry, a Ranger of some description is mandatory
in each set.
Locations, Tasks and Palettes
From the following, you may choose ONE of six locations/tasks/colour palettes to work with during R5. Once chosen, you need to stick with your choice throughout your entry - We will not accept entries that mix and match the various parts of the round.
All colours must be used at least once per splash set, black and white are allowed as well. Grey, however, is not allowed and is not acceptable for shading. ONLY those colours may be used.
Soft shading and blending is allowed between colours.
We have included the Hex Codes for each colour to prevent swatching issues between screen settings, and traditional artists will need to colour-match as closely as possible (but we'll forgive you if you're a shade or two off, haha).
Your Division Leader in Squirtle Bay is CALEB
- The snow has frozen over the Bay and the endemic Tortles on the Bay Island are in dire need of assistance. Caleb and Chevron have arranged to move them to a man-made cave near the HQ Base to keep them warm and well fed, but need help moving the large number of Tortles from the island to the location. Your task here will be to aid the HQ Rangers in escorting the tortles and any other suffering mons to the shelter.
Your Division Leader in Diamond City is CHERI
- The people in surrounding cities are finding themselves unable to cope with the sudden cold and many people are without the means to heat their homes. Cheri and Taz have converted the FI Tower Atriums (fyi, that's the bottom three floors/visitor centre of the tower) into makeshift evacuation halls and are housing any and all who need a warm place to stay. Your task here is to either aid the Rangers in evacuating freezing people OR helping to manage the influx of people in the atriums (aka food, seating, blankets, etc).
Your Division Leader on Unity Island is MAYLEA
- There are already small shelters in place in the middle of the Gardens thanks to the hard work of Mahalo's Rangers, but they weight of the snow is starting to see a few of these collapse and put the pokemon, notably the endemic Bulbasaur line, in danger. Your task here is to venture into the gardens with the Rangers, restore and/or strengthen any shelters you come across and aid the Pkmn wherever possible.
Your Division Leader on Myth Island is RAZZ
- Myth Island's mons have been able to retreat to warmer waters and shelter, but the people aren't so lucky or well equipped. The Rangers have been spearheading evacuation efforts across the island, and have set up Sail City's Convention Hall as shelter for those in need of aid. Your task here is to either aid the Rangers in evacuating freezing people OR helping to manage the influx of people in the Convention Hall (aka food, seating, blankets, etc).
Your Division Leader in Hero City is HADYN
- Hero City is devoid of mons, but numerous construction workers have been caught and trapped in the snow and need rescue. Hadyn is leading a unit of Rangers and Trainers to the under-construction Residential District of Hero City to evacuate the workers. Your task here is to aid the Rangers with evac, and see that the workers get safely back to Valkyrie HQ.
Your Division Leader on Mt Mauna is DAVEN
- There are reports that the south end of the Big Island are faring the worst, as the snowfall is starting to reach blizzard-like conditions, and many Pokémon are being trapped in the snow, frozen or worse. Union Rep Daven is leading a small unit of Rangers and Trainers to investigate the area and report on the extent of the damage. Your task here is assist the Rangers on the slopes of Mt Mauna, rescuing any mon you find in distress. BEWARE: The terrain is rugged and with the blizzard-like conditions reducing visibility drastically, only the toughest trainers are reccommended to accompany Daven.
Ohana Weather App brought to you by Nexus Telecommunications Ltd.In a shocking turn for the worse, Ohana's weather has taken to freezing temps and snow is causing massive problems all over the islands. Don't leave your home if you don't have to, and take extreme care if you do have to leave. Make sure your survival kits are ready and prepped for any outcome, and be ready for anything!
Like in previous Rounds, we will only accept Complete R5 Entries
- That means all of your parts at once, not one at a time as you complete them. We also appreciate it when all of your parts link to one another
, because it makes judging a lot easier for us.
And as always, make sure all relevant Trainer Apps (including your own) are linked in the comments section of your entries.
R5 Will Close on Saturday June 28 at 11:59pm GMT.
Please refer to the FAQ at the bottom of this journal if you have any questions.
And that's all for the Trainers -- Rangers, your Mission description is below!